Tuesday, June 15, 2010

This Must Be the Place - Kate Racculia

This must be the place...right?  Well, I found this book at the Doylestown Book Store along with the Jennifer Crusie I read last week.  It's another one of those "not yet published" deals; this one will be released in July.  So, next month.

Kate Racculia - I had never heard of her, and turns out this is her first novel.  I was intrigued by the cover, although they say that you shouldn't judge a book that way.  Then when I read the back I was sucked in.  It mentions a sudden death and secrets - well, sign me up!

The story centers on four people, mainly.  Amy, her husband Arthur, Amy's former best friend Mona and Mona's daughter Oneida.  It's about how these people have found each other, maybe lose each other sometimes, and come back together in new ways.  Along the way, we learn a lot about each person - sometimes right along with them, as they learn it about themselves.

It was a really cool story, and I enjoyed the characters.  There was a big secret that I saw coming, but was only about 60% sure of.  There was a small secret that doesn't really affect the plot too much but that I thought was really cool.  And there were a few plot twists that I really liked.  I also enjoyed the way that she gave glimpses into the characters' futures, sometimes by mentioning things that'll happen years ahead, and it lets the reader put some pieces together.  That was a nice surprise.

Overall, I was into the book, but it wasn't as fast of a read as I wanted it to be for some reason.  It took me longer to get through than I thought it would - and I don't know if it was the book or if it was me.  That said, I'm looking forward to seeing what future novels she brings us.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good read...fun to have secrets and visions into the future. I just finished a book that left me in a funk...or maybe this week has left me in a funk? Let's blame it on the book, I returned it to the library so tomorrow is a clean slate. Have I told you that there seems to be a lack of locally owned bookstores?

    ReplyDelete