Thursday, March 18, 2010

Luck in the Shadows - Lynn Flewelling

A fantasy novel!  I don't think I've read a true fantasy novel in a long time.  Jeff gave me this book, which is how I stumbled across it.  I really enjoy sci-fi and fantasy but rarely go looking for books in that genre, for whatever reason.  So this is sort of the standard fare: a different world, wizards, swordplay, adventure, intrigue, that kind of thing.  There's a slight twist in that the main character, Seregil, is gay - or maybe bi.  What I like about this book in that aspect is that his sexual orientation is not at all a main focus.  As a matter of fact, they never once use words like gay, bi, etc.  It's referred to and brought up a few times but not as a major plot point.  So I liked that.

It's the story of Seregil and a teenage-ish boy he rescues and takes on named Alec.  And Seregil teaches Alec his ways (not sexually!) and together they get enmeshed in the mystery of who is trying to oust the queen.  Overall, it was okay.  I liked it well enough but, at 480 pages, felt that parts of it could have been trimmed down.  I know that the series continues - there are parts 2 through 4, I believe - but I don't know that I care enough to keep reading them.

A part that struck me was when two characters were talking about magic.  The great wizard Nysander is explaining some history to Alec and says, "It was they who first taught that knowledge is as powerful, in its own way, as any magic, and that magic without knowledge is worse than useless; it is dangerous."  I like that.  And I would say that any power, without knowledge, is dangerous, right?  And then what is magic?  If I wave a magic wand and make your door open, isn't that magic?  And what if I do the same thing but, instead of a magic wand, I use a garage door opener?  Well then it's no longer magic, but why not?  I don't understand how either one works.  If we could show this to someone who has no experience with this, wouldn't it be magical?  Is it knowledge that takes away the magic?  So as we grow older and understand more, do we then take the magic out of our own lives?  Although I have to say that I don't know how a garage door opener, or a remote control, or even wireless internet works.  But it's not magic...

Anyway, I enjoyed the book, I'm glad I read it, if I stumbled across the next one I'd consider it, but it didn't change my life.

1 comment:

  1. First, since you had that castle collection, I just assumed (for years) that you were a fantasy-reader-type-of-guy. Who knew that blogging could teach me so much about you?
    Second, I LOVE the way you retell the story with you twist on what you thought about it...a great balance.
    Third, your comments about magical have got me thinking...but not too much, cause the kids are waking up.

    ReplyDelete