Saturday, May 15, 2010

Dead in the Family - Charlaine Harris

Oh, Sookie, we heart you.  Book 10 in the series!!!  She's come a long way - both Sookie and Charlaine Harris.  It's been interesting to see how this series has evolved, from sort of "a mystery with a twist" that I felt the first book was to some interesting character and cultural developments as the series has progressed, adding layers as werewolves, witches, fairies and others have become central to the stories.

After the end of the last book - which I felt was relatively dark for this series, but I liked - I didn't know what to expect from this one.  But what I got was not what I expected, although I enjoyed it.  As with the others, it didn't take me very long to read it; the books have always been a relatively quick read for me, and this was no exception.  It picked up very soon after where the previous book left off, as Sookie is recovering.  And then - well - took off from there.  (I'm being cautious not to say anything that might spoil the plot for those who haven't read it yet - hi Peggy!)

What I thought was interesting was that it wasn't like the early books, with a clear starting point to a mystery/conflict.  And it wasn't like the later books, with things clearly building to a large battle.  At the same time, though, things are happening that (of course) put Sookie in some danger.

I really don't want to say too much or reveal any plot points, but I'll say again that I felt like it was kind of a different style of book for Sookie, but that I really enjoyed it.  It had come plot points that I definitely didn't see coming but that I appreciated.  If you're a fan of the series, you won't be disappointed.  I'm very interested to see what comes next!

1 comment:

  1. I am growing weary of Sookie...she is always getting into trouble, getting a dress stained with other people's blood, but damn if I'm not reading more of the books to see what will happen next. Looking forward to some twists and turns!

    ReplyDelete