Saturday, January 9, 2010

Grave Secret - Charlaine Harris

Okay, I have to confess.  I didn't really read this book; it was more skimming/speed reading.  This is the fourth book in Charlaine Harris's Harper Connelly series.  I stumbled across Charlaine Harris randomly, two summers ago, and her Sookie Stackhouse series.  [This was before it was made into True Blood on HBO.]  I was immediately drawn in and still love the series!  So I decided to read one of her other series last summer and picked this one.

It's an interesting concept - Harper was struck by lightning and now gets certain vibes/messages from corpses.  I like it.  I zipped through the first three and enjoyed them...but not as much as Sookie.  Which isn't really a fair comparison, because they are completely different series and concepts.  Anyway, Grave Secret came out in hardback, and while I wanted to read it I didn't want to spend the money to buy it in hardback.  So...a bit of a confession here...I decided to speed read it in various bookstores.  That's right.  Part of it in Barnes & Noble and part of it in Borders.

What I liked about this book is that it dealt more with her family and her missing sister, which has been a focus of the series since the start.  It was interesting to see her with family around; other than Tolliver, she's generally been on her own for the first three books.  I like that it treated the family rapports with a certain complexity.  As for the mystery of the book, I really didn't figure it out and was pretty shocked at the end!  Which is always a sign of a good book.  Maybe there were clues that I missed because I was reading/skimming it so quickly.  Overall I enjoyed it, though, and if you've read the first three then this is worth reading as well.  I wouldn't rush out and buy it, but it's a good library book.

I don't know if this closes out the series or not; it certainly felt like good closure at the end of the book.  If it does end now, then this was a good ending book for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment