Saturday, August 28, 2010

Les Hommes qui n'aimaient pas les femmes - Stieg Larsson

Holy crap!  What a book.  It's been a while since I've stayed up past my bedtime because I just had to keep reading.  But for this book - I couldn't put it down at the end!

This novel was originally published in Swedish.  When I was in France last fall, Catherine told me that this series (it's the first in a trilogy) might just be her favorite series ever, and she bought me this book - the first in the series - so that I'd be guaranteed to read it.  Well, nine months later, I've finally read it.

It's a mystery story...but so much more.  It's a rich world, with characters who are so complex and compelling that they feel very real.  Essentially, if I can try to even simplify and summarize in a few sentences, it's the story of a journalist who agrees with the patriarch of a very wealthy family to write the family's story but, really, try to solve the mystery of what happened to Harriet Vanger back in the 1960's, when she suddenly and mysteriously disappeared and was probably murdered.  But along the way there is so much more...I can't help but wonder if I shouldn't even try to describe it as I did, because I can not do it justice.

Originally written in Swedish, it's now also translated into English by Reg Keeland.  One thing I don't understand, though, is the title.  If I were to literally translate the French title into English, it would be Men Who Didn't Like Women.  I don't speak Swedish, but from what I understand, that would be a literal translation of the Swedish title as well.  However, you have - I'm sure - heard of this book as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  And yes, there is a character that fits that description.  But I can't help but wonder - why the change?  Who decides that?  What's wrong with the original title?  Did some publisher feel that perhaps people might think it's about gay men and therefore not read it?  Was it just viewed as not compelling enough?  Yet it's a great success in other countries under that title.  I think I prefer the original title, because it shifts the focus onto these men, and leaves the reader to try to figure out who these men are and why that might have been chosen as a title.  I don't know...just something I've been thinking about.

Anyway, it's a GREAT book.  Stieg Larsson could probably have pared down the book to just the core mystery and had the book be half the length.  But you know what?  Then it would be half as good.  There are so many things that might not be related to the core mystery but that add a definite richness and depth to this story.  And, to be honest, it makes me wonder if they'll come into play in books 2 or 3...I'll have to find out sooner rather than later.  In the meantime, go find the English translation, and set aside some good hours to sink your teeth into it.

1 comment:

  1. The past coupla days I have been jonesin for a book that I just can't put down. Looks like I'm heading to the library tomorrow. I love how you didn't reveal that the french translation you read is a pop-culture book in the US until the end of your post. You are always so trendy, being introduced to such things before they are popular...like Jamie Cullum and that davincy code book. You are my trendy hero.

    ReplyDelete