Saturday, August 14, 2010

Que serais-je sans toi? - Guillaume Musso

Another French book I got on my trip over there last fall. Guillaume Musso writes very enjoyable stories that are generally pretty easy to follow. There is typically some sort of love story where people are, for some reason, kept apart; and there is also typically some sort of supernatural or other-worldly element.

In this story, which is literally translated as What Would I Be Without You?, Martin and Gabrielle meet at age 19. She's American, he's French. He returns to France and, for reasons he doesn't understand, she breaks it off with him. Fast forward fifteen years; Martin is now a cop with a hard heart. He's chasing after an international art thief who just so happens to be Gabrielle's father, who she thought died before she was born.

Martin pursues the thief to the US, to San Francisco, where they both end up seeing Gabrielle. Imagine her shock! But then the two men end up in a coma, where they spend time together in this other world, and then work out their differences.

I enjoyed the story; it's what I've come to expect from Guillaume Musso. No new ground-breaking stuff here, but an enjoyable relatively fast read.

4 comments:

  1. I like the twist of the other world in a coma connection. I didn't see that one comin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know where can I get this book?
    In english, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know - I know that one of his books has been translated into English, and you can get it on amazon.com, but it doesn't look like this one has been translated yet unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No... :(
    I really wanted to read it, no way I can find it anywhere..

    thanks.

    ReplyDelete