Thursday, December 23, 2010

Diabetes Burnout - William H. Polonsky

I asked my mother to get this book for me last year, shortly after I was first diagnosed with diabetes.  I just got around to reading it...even though I wouldn't say that I'm burned out (yet).  But you know what?  I'm glad I have it.  It essentially recognizes that since this is a life-long illness, there will be times where it just doesn't seem worth it to keep on doing everything that needs to be done.  It's not something I wanted, asked for or chose, and yet here it is and I have to deal with it now.  And, honestly, this can apply to much more than diabetes.

But every day - watching what I eat (theoretically), exercising (theoretically), taking the meds, monitoring my blood sugar...and knowing that it'll never end.  Yeah, I'm sure that at some point I will get burned out.  And after reading this book I'm glad to have it on hand.

The book provides good support and empathy why burnout can happen.  And it acknowledges the crappy parts of doing everything that needs to be done...but then rather than just stopping at the whining (which is what I might do), it helps to find answers and solutions and ways through or around the roadblocks.

So, luckily, I can't relate to all parts of this book...at least not right now.  But it's good to know that I'll have it on hand for when I do.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great reference...good to have some tools in your toolbox to whip out when you need it. Don't forget about it!

    ReplyDelete