Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Thinker's Way - John Chaffee, Ph.D.

Hi, The Thinker's Way.  Have a seat - are you comfortable?  Um...this is kind of awkward...but we need to talk.  I know that you have been so good and so patient, waiting around on that bookshelf for all of these years, just waiting for me to get to you.  Waiting for your turn.  And now it's here!  And it's wonderful!  And it's great!  But - I think we're just not going to work out.  What I'm saying is, I think I want to read other books.  No - no - it's not you, really, it's me.  Completely me.

We started out so well, it's true.  You were talking about how there seem to be less critical thinking skills today - or at least in our news and media.  And I couldn't agree more!  We are surrounded by sound bytes and data snippets, pieces of facts which are then surrounded by opinion.  And that's not critical thinking!  That's not looking at information, digging deep, knowing your sources, forming your own conclusions...not at all.

And when you said that learning to think critically can lead to clearer goals in your life and greater chances of attaining them...Again, I agree.  And being creative!  I like what you said about how "being creative" doesn't have to mean "being an artist."  I really enjoyed this paragraph about that.

Whenever you are investing your own unique ideas, you are being creative.  When you develop a new recipe or dance in your own distinctive style, you are being creative, as you are when you stimulate original thinking in your children or make your friends laugh with your singular brand of humor.  Living your life creatively means bringing your unique perspective and creative talents to all the dimensions of your life.  Creativity is not an add-on, something extra that you have to find time for in your busy life.  Instead, creativity is a better, richer, more productive approach to doing what you are already doing.  It's braided seamlessly into your life, not a bow that's added on for decoration.


That's brilliant!  I love it!  But I'm only a quarter of the way through, and I'm just not feeling this relationship.  Like I said, it's me.  I'm really close to the end of the unread bookshelf, and I'm probably anxious to move on.  So don't take it personally...I know that the right reader will come along.

1 comment:

  1. This post is BRILLIANT...this post should be published for all to read; so creative, innovative, touching, heartfelt, in a shifty I-think-he's-breaking-up-with-me-and-trying-blame-himself-but-it's-really-about-me sort-of way. A BRIILIANT way to ditch a book. Did I call it BRILLIANT? Okay I will, BRILLIANT.

    ReplyDelete